Munyai defends title against Haskins!!!


Tshifhiwa Munyai successfully defended his Commonwealth bantamweight title with a sixth round stoppage defeat of Bristol’s Lee Haskins. Readers will remember the tall and rangy South African clearly outclassing Londoner Martin Power in his last visit to these shores, and yet again he put in another impressive performance.

It was visibly clear from the start of proceedings that this would be a difficult evening for Haskins who had to contend with the South African’s four-inch reach advantage and lightening quick boxing skills.  

The turning point of the fight was as early as the third round as Munyai finally started to work out the unorthodox Haskins.  In the last minute of the round and again during the fourth, Munyai was catching Haskins with some telling punches to both body and head. Despite the motivational stirrings of Chris Sanigar in Haskin’s corner, Munyai had a really strong round in the fifth.  Although Haskins hung in well, Munyai continued to string together a lot of strong punches which Haskins could not avoid and it was clear that it would be only a matter of time before Munyai successfully defended his title.

Munyai did not wait to commence his onslaught when the bell sounded for the sixth.  He continued to land some sickening punches yet again to the body and head which visibly sapped any further resistance that Haskins had to offer.  Referee Micky Vann gave Haskins every chance before calling a halt to proceedings after 2 minutes 53 seconds of the 6th round. 

Tshifhiwa Munyai is clearly a class boxer who has a lot to offer.  UKBoxingpress will watch his progression with interest.

In the chief support to the main event, Tommy Eastwood caused a major shock by stopping the promising Londoner Junior McDonald in the second round of their Southern Area title cruiserweight clash.  It was believed that Eastwood, with only one previous stoppage victory, was a non-puncher and it would be an easy fight for the unbeaten McDonald.  But, from the very first bell, Eastwood came charging out clearly fired up to prove his doubters wrong.

Although he looked calm and collected, McDonald was clearly too chilled at the start of the second round, and was caught with a clubbing shot which had him tumbling face down onto the canvas. A follow-up barrage floored McDonald for a second time, and although Junior rose and looked fit to continue referee Richie Davies waved things off.

The results from the Maloney Promotions Show were:

Tshifhiwa Munya beat Lee Haskins  … RSF 6

Tommy Eastwood beat Junior McDonald … RSF 2

Hussain Osman beat Ryan Walls… RSF 2

Ian Napa beat Delroy Spencer … Pts 6

Akaash Bhatia beat Rakhim Mingaleev … Pts 4

Jackson Osei Bonsu beat Kevin Phelan … TKO 4

Clifford Smith beat Frederic Gosset … Pts 4

Scott Woolford beat Tommy Jones … Pts 4

Nikita Lukin beat Nick McDonald … TKO 2 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s